What's wrong with my Airport?

chrisnelson at mac.com chrisnelson at mac.com
Sun Feb 16 14:24:42 PST 2003

I'm hoping somebody else might have some ideas what might be wrong with
my Airport connection to my cable modem.

Last week, I bought Airport cards for my iBook and my Cube. The iBook
works perfectly with my Linksys base station. Unfortunately, the Cube
is suffering from abysmal transfer rates. Where the iBook is
transferring data from the internet at about 1.6 MB megabits/sec, the
Cube is only getting transfer rates of a few hundred kilobits per
second- not that much faster than a modem!

I've tried swapping the card out with the one in the iBook, and it
makes no difference. The Airport antenna wires in the Cube do not seem
to be obviously damaged or crimped in any way.

My cube is well out of warranty. Am I correct in assuming that Apple
won't help me without charging me for the service, even though I've
never had the chance to use the Airport before? What could I expect to
be charged by Apple for any repairs?