[CUBE] Geforce3 VGA and DVI

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Feb 20 13:09:40 PST 2003

Here's my latest thought on that card — just between you and me and the
list. If it isn't TwinView and you want to use an Apple ADC Monitor,
you have to spend another $99 to buy a DVI to ADC adapter. So now
you're up to more than $300. Alternatively, if you buy an Apple
TwinView OEM GeForce 3 card for the going rate of $250-$275 you only
need to spend $35 to make the ADC port VGA or or DVI. So as I see it,
the economics don't work out very well with this PC flashed card.

Also, when we got the link to the eBay page from Alan Thompson last
night, the page showed a picture of the VGA/S-Video output card. I had
no idea it was also coming to you as a DVI/S-Video card. Then when you
said it did and I asked about the TwinView capability and all of a
sudden when I got personally attacked by Todd and Hal OUT OF THE BLUE
from my point of view, I lost my train of thought.

I was only asking with regards to the overall hidden costs that are
well covered by the extremely low priced $45 ATI PC Radeon 7000 AGP
TwinView option. Plus the S-Video port works with that choice which I
think is huge.

I know the 7000 is not in the same class as the GeForce 3. But the 7000
downside really only applies to gamers. I for one never game. I'm
strictly Video Editing, Web Design and Flash. So the 3D power of the
GeForce 3 is irrelevant to me.

I just want you to know that I was not trying to get into an argument
with you. I was simply asking about the TwinView because without that
capability, many users would not derive the same value out of this
alternative that they would from the Apple OEM choice.

I think given that he is asking at least $200, if the user knows they
will never use two screens and doesn't care about ADC then that might
be a legitimate choice. But without TwinView capability that a GeForce
3 user may want, I don't see it competing.

Kunga