MacRumors: Apple Adopts Sony Superdrive?

Leif Joel Örell lejo at mac.com
Fri Feb 21 07:39:34 PST 2003

On MacRumors
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/02/20030220194342.shtml
you can read this:

A Macintouch.com reader and MacBidouille notes that Apple has adopted a
Sony drive for their Superdrive on the new iMac.  From Macintouch:

I just purchased a new 1.0 GHz iMac from an Apple store yesterday.  To
my surprise the Apple System Profiler reported that the DVD drive was
not a Pioneer drive, but instead is a Sony DVD RW DW-U10A.  Apparently
this is a DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW drive.  I had not been aware
  that Apple changed DVD drive hardware venders.
   Apple has previously used a Pioneer drive in the past (for their
"Superdrive"), which was limited to DVD-R and DVD-RW formats.

This MacRumors.com thread discusses the switch and confirms that the
new iMacs use a Sony drive.

   Addendum: Some users report that their new iMacs still use the
Pioneer drives, so it does not appear to be implemented across the
line.