[CUBE] Geforce3 VGA and DVI

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Tue Feb 25 01:23:00 PST 2003

GeForce 3 MX cards are not TwinView. None of them are. But I didn't
understand that until this latest string.

My enthusiasm for TwinView cards stems from having used two or three
monitors on every Mac I have owned since 1987's Mac II forward. It has
nothing to do with my still having six 32 MB TwinView Apple OEM ATI
Radeon 7500 left for sale that I only sell to list members and
CubeOwner and Cube-Zone members and never on eBay. In the case of the
Cube, from my multi-monitor history, I see TwinView as essential and I
don't really understand the concept of having only one monitor on any
Mac that is inherently Multi-Monitor capable.

You'll have to forgive my TwinView enthusiasm. It stems from 16 years
of always having more than one screen attached to all of my Macs, not
from an uncommon tendency to write infomercials for the six TwinView
7500 cards I have left for sale every time someone brings up the
subject. ; ^ )

Now with the newly updated Gefen VGA+USB to ADC adapter
<http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301> for only $299, one
can now drive all of the 2003 Apple Cinema Monitors at their native
resolutions from the 7500's VGA port in addition to the native ADC port
to another. So the 7500 still fits the bill for an outstanding TwinView
experience this year when it's inside a Cube.

I am currently doing very little. I have 10 applications open. While
the management of all these windows is certainly far from difficult
thanks to LiteSwitch X, ASM and Minimize In Place, having two 1600 x
1200 monitors supported from my Cube's 7500 certainly makes for a much
more enjoyable time. I'm still driving CRTs so it's a pretty cheap
approach. But I know many of you think that one screen is plenty. With
me it's force of habit and familiarity that makes me love the extended
desktop.

The fact that I have a few left for sale is incidental to my rants on
the subject. I have been a MultiView evangelist since day one in 1987.
You would be surprised how many Mac owners are still unaware that the
extended desktop part of the OS is even available.