[CUBE] added a thermostat to fan

Richard Clark mawgadog at tin.it
Wed Feb 26 13:00:09 PST 2003

On Mercoledì, feb 26, 2003, at 21:49 Europe/Rome, M. Jeffrey Coco wrote:

> Richard - wonder if you'd consider doing a write-up on your procedure,
> and a parts list. I'd love to be able to control my fan noise but,
> while mechanically inclined, I'm no EE.
>
> TIA
> Jeff Coco

Don't really know what to write Jeff i had an old syquest cartridge
40mb drive that used to drive me crazy with the fan that would speed up
and slow down constantly at the time i guessed it was a power problem
could never be bothered to open it up because the drive worked fine.
The other day i came across it and decided to open it up and that is
what i found the little thermo-resistor thing, don't really know what
it is really called but i'm sure someone here does. Anyway pulled it
out as you can see in the pics and added it to my fan that was already
in the cube pretty simple, only thing i did strange was to get my power
from inside the molex connector that is on the hd instead of buying the
adapter that everyone uses to get power from the optical drive power
connector, i also found it much easier to work with the wires under my
airport slot where there is plenty of room instead of pulling apart the
chassis of my cube again. I also upgraded my HD without pulling off the
top plate. Anyway about the parts look at the pic you can see the
writing on it maybe you can pick up something like this from radio
shack if your in the US.