[CUBE] Seagate Barracuda IV vs. V

M Matel cr_male2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 14:31:55 PST 2003

A review at HotHardware.com discusses the acoustics of
the Barracuda V (the full review is located at
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Drives/seagatesata150(4).shtml)

This is the section on acoustics:

 A Note On Acoustics Of The Barracuda V SATA Drive:

Seagate claims this drive is one of the quietest
drives on the market right now, with it's "SoftSonic"
motor technology.  Indeed the spindle noise is
minimal, as you can barely here the drive spin up.
However, the heads during reads and writes, make a bit
of a racket, frankly.  We're not sure if this is
indicative of the early sample drive we received or of
the very same product that will be in the retail
channel.  However, during heavy reads and writes, the
drive seems to be louder than most.  It's not
unbearable by any means however and once installed in
a chassis, things are perfectly acceptable.  In
addition, what most people complain about, when they
think of Hard Drive noise, is spindle or motor whine,
since it is a constant relentless noise.  The Barrcuda
V is definitely superior in this regard.

 M.M.