PL 800 Mhz L3 Cache

K Peex1 kpeex1 at cox.net
Thu Feb 27 07:53:07 PST 2003

  I installed the PL single 800 upgrade some time ago.

I think I got one of the first cards that had the 7455??? processor
installed. (The ones which did NOT need software to enable the L3
cache.) The instructions on enabling the L3 cache were confusing and
contradictory. (The instructions said I didn't need it and gave web
sites where to get Cache Control X 2.1b4 in the same paragraph.) When I
tried the couple of different PowerLogix software routes, none worked.
I just assumed I have had L3 enabled.

I have never been able to PROVE it is enabled. Apple system Profiler
only reports 256k of L2 cache. If L3 was truly working, would ASP show
it?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions or pointers to utilities
(Like the old Newer Tech Gauge) which will give me a report on the
processor and cache. ASP doesn't even show the processor model.

Thanks for any help. It sure would be cool to have a little more speed
available that has been hidden for a couple of months.

Kevin