[CUBE] Audio Dies [fixed!]

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Fri Feb 28 00:36:20 PST 2003

I think that I can now theorize a little more on the cause/effect/fix.

If you are using USB audio (and I think that this may also occur with
any model using USB audio instead of the built-in) and the CPU or bus
is taxed heavily it 'loses' it's connection to the USB port.  Now the
problem is that this 'loss' is not advertised properly to the OS so
that it still shows up in the Sound Control panel.

When you put a machine to sleep it still continues to push a trickle
current to the USB bus so that it will wake immediately if there is a
change in the devices attached to a USB connection. When you put the
Cube to sleep it immediately detects (at the hardware layer) that
speakers have been 'added' since they weren't there a moment ago as far
as the hardware was concerned.  This forces the Cube to wake up again,
this time with the speakers and the USB audio drivers loaded.

Following on this thought - for those of you with 'coma' Cubes, can
someone try unplugging or attaching a USB device when the Cube is in a
coma and see if this wakes it up?

Erik