[CUBE] Cube: ADC to DVI / ATi Rage to NVidia Geforce2 MX 32Mb swap

Ray Boehmer rboehmer at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 3 11:14:03 PST 2003

1.
The cube should drive the DVI monitor fine with the adapter. There is no
conversion going on, just re-routing of the pins and digital vid info.

2.
The GF2MX card works in a cube without a fan, but requires a much bigger
heatsink than it probably has now to be truly safe. Find a picture of the
GF2MX that shipped in some cube configurations, and you'll see what I mean.

This topic has been discussed quite frequently on this list, so someone
should be able to provide a link to all necessary info and pics.

-Ray

on 1/3/03 10:34 AM, Carlo Ambler wrote:

> Hi everyone !!
>
> A couple of interesting (?!?) questions ...
>
> Question # 1:
>
> I'd like to connect my Cube to an LG DVI-I equipped 17" Flat LCD
> Display that i ordered (model number 1710B).
>
> Right now my 450Mhz Cube has the standard built-in ATI Rage 128 with
> both standard VGA and digital ADC outputs.
>
> If i do buy the Apple ADC to DVI connector (T2795 Apple Part Number
> from the Apple Store anyway), would i be able to drive the LG DVI-I
> w/out any problems ? Or is it meant to work ONLY with the DVI equipped
> 22 Cinema Display and "old" 15" Apple Studio Display LCD monitors as
> "suggested" on the Apple website?
>
> Is there anyone out there with a similar configuration who has an
> answer ?
>
> Question # 2:
>
> Can i "safely" replace the original ATI Rage 128 with a "pulled-out"
> Nvidia Geforce2 MX 32Mb that used to work (well) on a G4 733Mhz
> PowerMac with Superdrive (the very first mac equipped with a
> Superdrive) ??
>
> Do i need to "cool-down" the new card once in the Cube or is its
> standard heat sink enough ?? Can i run it fan-less ??
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help.  ;-)
>
> CIAO !!!!
>
> Carlo Ambler (Rome, ITALY)

> Need help from a real person? Try.  <Cube-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!

>  Outpost    | http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

> Dr. Bott    |    <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>

sincerely,
--