[CUBE] Stuffit Expander

a l a n t h o m p s o n athomp2 at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 17:51:51 PST 2003

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 05:46 PM, John T. Folden wrote:

> If you want to see real whiners, just look around
> for some anti-.mac forums (or wait for the storm that follows an Apple
> announcement on Tuesday about certain iApps no longer being free <g>).

LOL!  totally true - check out the comments section on macnn.  at
first, i got kind of whiney myself (don't need, and can't use iDVD and
don't want to pay for it).  but then, the story isn't fact, but a
report.  we'll see what happens.  i must say though, that I just got
hooked on iPhoto and now use it all the time.  did my wedding movie,
and sent it out to vcd with iMovie - great apps both of them.  i'd pay
for upgrades to them (major ones at least), and otherwise get them in
major os upgrades (like jag)...

> As well, the fact that Expander is free only benefits Aladdin. If it
> weren't
> then you'd see a mass migration to another non-proprietary format  in
> the
> blink of an eye.  :-)

oh yeah, just how did aladdin get such a foothold in the stuffit format
- i guess the same way that winzip did - being first and offering it
for free.  there should be a nice gzip gui tool like expander, though.
or a gui tar, etc...