Replacement fan for BTO Radeon

John Bryan johnb at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 22:30:07 PST 2003

Funny how for a basically fanless model, how much the topic of fans
comes up for it! ;-)

Can someone recommend a simple replacement fan for this one that came
with my Radeon as a BTO option from Apple?
Or where can I go to get some more information about what to look for?

I have dug around a bit, and found discussions about the noise of these
things when they apparently start to crap out, but haven't (yet?) found
anything that really helps me.

I don't want to drop in another graphics card, and I don't want to put
a 'real' fan in this thing, but I would like to see if I can just
replace the fan on this thing as the sound from it sometimes is beyond
distracting.  I had pulled it off once and put some lightweight oil
drop by tiny drop onto the point of the 'axle' that is visible when the
little decal/label is removed from the top, and that worked great for
about 10 minutes, then it was back to grind city.

FWIW, Currently it runs at 40C according to ThermoInDock.  It has gone
up to 44 when doing some intensive stuff, but not that often.  Pretty
much it is static at 40 or 36.   The noise flares up at boot up, wake
from sleep, or when something intensive apparently kicks it off (or on,
rather).

thanks, fellow Cubists,

John B
---