Radeon Mac: OEM vs. Retail (For CUBE)

akihabara@inwind.it akihabara at inwind.it
Mon Jan 6 01:02:12 PST 2003

Hi guys!

Just wondering ... Went on Ebay this morning and i saw these two items:

- 2086281986 ATI Radeon Mac Edition 32Mb DDR Retail Card: $ 69 (no bids)
- 2085414306 ATI Radeon 32Mb ACD (OEM ?): currently for $ 169.99 (1 bid)

I want to understand the differences between the two.

As far as i understand here they are:

- The $69 one does not have ADC some this is probably the main reason why there is a $100 gap between this one and the other one. People with a Cube wants to use Mac ADC Flat Panel displays. Is this right ? Is that the reason ?

- The $169 one is fanless (which not everyone agrees it is an advantage right ?). More silent for sure, but .. coller than the fan equipped $69 one ? Is this the another advantage up to you ?

Let's say i want to hook a DVI-I flat panel (not Apple so no ADC) .. will the $69 one perform in my Cube AS WELL as the the other one (i mean performances etc.). Do they have the same capabilities ?

And now the most important thing: FACEPLATE.

On the $69 one i guess a user cannot simply switch the face plate as they would do with an Apple OEM Radeon right ?

It would need some mods to fit right ?

Instead the $169 Radeon OEM will allow the user to simply unmount the original ATI Rage 128 face plate and switch it right ?

Thanks in advance for your comments. ;-)

Carlo Ambler