[CUBE] Radeon Mac: OEM vs. Retail (For CUBE)

Richard Clark mawgadog at tin.it
Mon Jan 6 03:52:57 PST 2003

On Monday, Jan 6, 2003, at 10:02 Europe/Rome, akihabara at inwind.it wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> Just wondering ... Went on Ebay this morning and i saw these two items:
>
> - 2086281986 ATI Radeon Mac Edition 32Mb DDR Retail Card: $ 69 (no
> bids)
> - 2085414306 ATI Radeon 32Mb ACD (OEM ?): currently for $ 169.99 (1
> bid)
>
> I want to understand the differences between the two.
>
> As far as i understand here they are:
>
> - The $69 one does not have ADC some this is probably the main reason
> why there is a $100 gap between this one and the other one. People
> with a Cube wants to use Mac ADC Flat Panel displays. Is this right ?
> Is that the reason ?
I think that is the reason

> - The $169 one is fanless (which not everyone agrees it is an
> advantage right ?). More silent for sure, but .. coller than the fan
> equipped $69 one ? Is this the another advantage up to you ?
with fan runs cooler, cooler electronics happier electronics but unless
your not playing heavy games and watching lots of dvd's i think maybe
the one without the fan might work fine at least those are reports by
other list members i would personally put a fan in mine if it didn't
have one Cube parts are expensive and hard to come by.

> Let's say i want to hook a DVI-I flat panel (not Apple so no ADC) ..
> will the $69 one perform in my Cube AS WELL as the the other one (i
> mean performances etc.). Do they have the same capabilities ?

Not sure i think they are the same if i needed to use a DVI flat panel
there is no reason to get or use an ADC card because then you would
need to convert adc to DVI which is more money spent for nothing. The
advantage of ADC is that it brought power and usb to the monitor none
of which the DVI lcd has so no use in buying an ADC card unless you
have an ADC monitor.

> And now the most important thing: FACEPLATE.
>
> On the $69 one i guess a user cannot simply switch the face plate as
> they would do with an Apple OEM Radeon right ?
I think the faceplate needs to be modified on any of the cards you get
and i'm not sure but   i don't think you can switch the rage faceplate
with the geForce one because i think the spacing is different between
the adc and vga.