[CUBE] It arrived! plus please help :)

mcph at olemiss.edu mcph at olemiss.edu
Mon Jan 6 19:52:04 PST 2003

>If you don't care about anything on that drive, just wipe
> the drive and install your own stuff.

Unfortunately I cant seem to get the dvd drive to accept the
Jaguar CD (I don't have the original OS 9 CD's,  I ordered
Jaguar seperately).  It goes in with very little friction
about 1/2 way then stops.  I have a fear that the dvd drive
may need replacing *sighs*  or maybe this stupid mac manager
is disabling it.  If need be I can replace the hard drive.
If the dvd drive is bad...ugh I dunno how easy that is to
replace...I suspect not very :(

I also have a friend with a usb cdrw.  Is there anyway to
bood from such a beast? :)

>You can also try booting with extensions disabled.

How do I do that?  is it a keystroke on bootup?

>If you still can't get the cd drive to work (could be
>related, I am not sure), use target disk mode from another
>firewire enabled computer, if you have one, and delete all
>traces of MacMgr.

Target disk mode?   I have a compaq laptop with winxp and a
firewire port,  can I use that?  I could also get an ibook
from work on loan.  What do I need to do to use target disk
mode?

>Of course, you could also email the guy you bought it from
>and ask him what the password is (then flog him for not
>removing it to begin with)

The person indicated at the auction that the machine was
protected and he didnt recall the password.  I just assumed
I'd be able to insert the jaguar cd and do a fresh install.

Hopefully I'll be able to get around this thing and use my
cube for more than a pretty paper weight. :)

Thank you so much for all your help,  I really appreciate
it!