[CUBE] somewhat OT: new stuff...

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Wed Jan 8 09:22:53 PST 2003

That's a bit extreme in my opinion. I back up the entire IE prefs folder,
which has bookmarks and history and settings and scrapbook - so it's not
hard to back up as it is as important as everything else in that folder you
care about. Actually, I clone my entire drive weekly, so that's not an
issue.

And I don't need to share it. I use the scrapbook to archive things that I
KNOW will change when I next load the page. It's for me, not for others.
It's basically a screenshot or page capture that is great for a historical
archive of anything on the web. Kind of like having your own personal
Internet Wayback machine <http://www.archive.org/>

Tabbed browsing isn't really a scrapbook. It's just that instead of opening
new windows in your browser, the new address opens in a "tab" within the
same window, so you can switch back and forth between multiple tabs instead
of cycling through multiple windows. It's just cleaner and visually more
organized.

That's my 2 cents :)

Laurie

On 1/8/03 11:45 AM, peer.bentzen at tin.it added a note to the human symphony
when this was said:

> On 08/01/03 17:03, "Laurie A Duncan" <laurie at cubeowner.com> wrote:
>
>> Should we start a "save the scrapbook" petition?
>

> Definitely!
> The thing is I'm not sure everybody knows how great the Scrapbook is.
> I've never tried Tabbed Browsing, but from what I understand the Scrapbook
> not only is somewhat similar, but is MUCH BETTER than TB! You browse at your
> hearts contend, "Scrapbook" everything you like, and then it's there not
> only to read right away, but forever after - that is, until you delete it.
> Or forgot to back it up. Because - alas - as with everything Microsoft (for
> the Mac at least), it ain't easy to backup!
> (User/Library/Preferences/Explorer/Internet Scrapbook)
> So here's my suggestion: Make a smarter Scrapbook on Safari. One you can
> easily backup, and one you can share, in whole or in parts, with others.
> Also with you Windows-pals.
>
> /Peer

Laurie
--