I'm a switcher now :)

mcph at olemiss.edu mcph at olemiss.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:46:45 PST 2003

First an update on the dvd/cd problem.  Yup,  you guys were
right...taking the cube apart revealed a dime wedged in the
drive.

I guess the previous owner's child thought it was a piggy
bank or
something.  how odd.  a pair of tweezers let me get it out
and the
drive seems unharmed.

Anyway,  while I was checking out the drive I replaced the
hard
drive with a spare 7200 rpm IBM deskstar 40 gigger I had
lying
around.

put it all back together and popped in the jaguar install
cd's...formatting and mounting the drive wasnt hard,  the
install
went flawlessly.  I was very impressed with how easy it was
to get
my dsl connection going.

I was initially horrified at how slow it was,  but
apparently the
problems were on the other end of the first couple of sites
I checked
because the third site on has been very speedy.

Oh...and damn Jaguar is gorgeous....I love the display
pdf....my
sony monitor has never looked so nice!

I downloaded Safari...very nice...

also downloaded and (I think) installed the apple X server.
There
was no indication of where it was put or how to start it
though.  I'll
have to poke around later looking for it  (or for docs :)

I'm very impressed with the cube's performance.  it's a 450
Mhz
cube with 512 MB of ram.  apple oem radeon (fanned
version)...everything is VERY snappy.  and the cube just
looks
beautiful...I love the design.

I just finished my Phd, when I find a job I think my
congratulations
present to myself is going to be one of the powerlogix dual
processor upgrades.  So far Im very happy with my cube,  I
plan to
keep it quite awhile.

Michael.

(though using itunes to rip a cd slowed the system down to a
crawl -
- still for every day useage