[CUBE] Combo vs. Super...

François Menu frmen at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 9 01:52:10 PST 2003

Le jeudi, 9 jan 2003, à 07:47 Europe/Paris, phoenix a écrit :

>         My Cube's drive reads DVD just fine, and burns to CD-R without
> problem.  That's with the drive it came with, far as I know...

You bought your Cube second hand? Apple never sold Cubes with combo
drives (that read DVDs and burn CDs), you only have the choice between
DVD drives or CD-RW drives.

So it must be an after market modification, someone on this list said
that Taxan, in Japan, sell such combo drive upgrades for the Cube (and
the iMac).

One question that bother me, the original slot loading drives for the
Cube "swallow" the discs upon insertion, you just have to pull the disc
half way in, then the drive takes the disc and insert it completly. I
recall reading somewhere that the sloat loading combo drives (like the
one used in the PowerBook G4) needs you to push the disc all the way in
to have it "click" in the drive.

Can you tell us how your drive behave? Does it "swallow" the discs, or
do you need to push them completely in?

--
François Menu
frmen at wanadoo.fr