[CUBE] somewhat OT: new stuff...

Arturo Pérez arturo at ethicist.net
Thu Jan 9 17:44:57 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 09:10  AM, Eagle wrote:

> On Thursday, Jan 9, 2003, at 04:05 US/Eastern, Riba wrote:
>>> What's the attraction of tabbed browsing?  Maybe I'm not "doing" it
>>> right?
>>> When I tried it I do what usually I do:  option-command-click to
>>> open a window/tab.
>>> But I typically have 20-30 windows open at a time - I hate to wait
>>> for them to
>>> load (over broadband).  Then I cycle through.  But the tabs end up
>>> with only
>>> 1 letter in the tab so I can't tell what's what.
>>>
>>> But now I read that "everyone" thinks tabbed browsing is a mandatory
>>> feature for Safari?
>>> What's up with that?
>>
>> I can't imagine having 20-30 windows or tabs opened at the same time.
>> I end up with 5 tops. Maybe that's the catch :)
>
> I prefer multiple windows myself, but about tabs, can't you have
> several windows open, each with multiple tabs?  I Arturo could have 6
> windows open with 5 tabs each right?
>
> Eagle

I suppose I could but then I'd actually have to keep track of which
windows had which tabs.  I tend
to use the web for a kind of buck shot approach to research.  I do a
google query then open the first
10-15 links without reading them.  Then I slowly work my way through
sorting wheat from chaff.  Works
for me but the people who've seen me do it tend to look like deer
caught in headlights saying, "How
do you keep track of that!?!"  A blizzard of windows, if you will :-)

I was reading the great debate of tabs in Safari over on MacSlash.
Seems that people either
like windows or like tabs - no middle ground.  I can really see the
utility of tabs when you visit
the same pages over and over.  But I don't do that.