Dead cube update, CPU card questions

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Fri Jan 10 11:03:15 PST 2003

Update on my burned-up Cube disaster:

Finally just went out and bought another Cube, but installed a new
Seagate Barracuda 5 120gb, and it is by far quieter than my 80gb IBM
Deskstar, and perhaps faster, but hard to tell so far. I only have
the stock Rage 128 pro, and REALLY MISS the 64MB GeForce 3. Is there
any final word on whether the new Radeon 9000 Mac Edition will fit in
the Cube (plate modification not withstanding)? Also, any opinion on
the merits if the Powerlogix vs. Sonnet 1ghz card? Should I wait
another month for price drops, or just go for it (not sure about the
need for the dual card, and still want as quiet a machine as
possible)?

Final tally on the effects of tapping into the wrong (5v) power lead
for a fan (off of the CD/DVD drive power):

Motherboard (dead)
G4 board (dead)
Video card (dead)
Airport card (dead)
CubePort (dead)
DC/DC card (dead)
RAM (one 512 dimm dead, other two 512 dimms survived)

I will have some components, or possibly a complete, working Cube for
sale soon (once I have finished replacing what needs replacing to get
my old unit up and running). For my vote, I would love a Combo drive
in my machine, or possibly even a Superdrive (although I have BOTH an
external 12x and DVD-105).

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org