[CUBE] problem installing JAG

Frank French moutard at mac.com
Sun Jan 12 09:46:43 PST 2003

on 1/12/03 2:53 AM, Marty Levenson at martylev at telus.net wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Still can't install JAG.
>
> The Jag installer quits after it starts installing, and goes to a text
> (terminal?) mode that says "Unexpected Shutdown (exit code 0) Restart" Tried
> to install 10.1, but that installer quit too, about half way through....with
> the same message.
>
> OS 9.2.2 runs great, and no other problems.  Any suggestions? I've run every
> test on my partitions with TechTools Pro 3, and all seems well. Rebuilt the
> desktop + zapped the pram.
> Any possibility the battery is dying - could that cause be the cause? I know
> the disk is good, as I installed Jag on my girlfriend's G4 tower with it.
>
> Going nuts in Vancouver,
> Marty
>

>> From: Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org>
>> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:16:55 -0800
>> To: "Cube List" <Cube at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Subject: Re: [CUBE] problem installing JAG
>>
>> Let us all know if it works. Keep posting until your difficulty is
>> resolved.

>> On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 05:11  PM, Marty Levenson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of installing 10.1 and then updating that to JAG...see if
>>> that
>>> works. I did have 10.1 working before, but uninstalled it due to some
>>> crashes...thought I would start fresh with Jag.
>>> Thanks for your replies!
>>> Marty

>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>> <Cube-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.  <Cube-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>> ----------
>> $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>> Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
>>
>> T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!
>> Dr. Bott|   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/T3Hub.html>
>>
>> Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>> Outpost    | http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
>>
>> ADC Extension | Extend the built in cable of your flat panel by 10 ft.
>> Dr. Bott    |    <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>

Marty,

When you had OS X on the cube previously and removed it did you format the
drive. If so which format option, HFS or HFS+. X won't install on a HFS.
Also it won't install from from a slave drive Knowledge base # 106728. Don't
know if the internal Optical drive is set to master but from this article I
guess it should be master.

Also remove any other devices plugged in via USB or FireWire, other than the
keyboard and mouse of course :).

The other things I'd try, zap the PRAM in case some code has been stored
there causing problems. Rebuild the desktop in OS 9.

The other option is try another drive in the cube though I don't know if the
girlfriend would be willing to lend you her drive from the dual G4.

Had a look at apple's error code list which is pretty generic and universal
as far as I know. They don't list a 0 error of course but all the errors in
the lower numbers relate to drive problems or seem to relate to drive
problems.

The other thing you could do is get a firewire cable, take the cube to the
Girlfriends and put it in Target mode and copy your data over to the G4.
Then do a format, zero data, and start from scratch. Lots of bonuses there,
data backed up, fresh hard drive to install onto, and quality time with the
girlfriend. Zeroing data takes some time.... Good Luck

Frank