recap: problem installing JAG

Marty Levenson martylev at telus.net
Sun Jan 12 13:25:46 PST 2003

Dear List,

Thanks for all the suggestions...you a great community of cube owners.

The Problem:

Still can't install JAG on my cube. The installer quits after about 2
minutes, going to a terminal type mode and saying "Unexpected Shutdown (exit
code 0) Restart".

Current thinking:

1. I tested the RAM with Tech Tool Pro 3. It writes the RAM with 11111 then
0000 then 0101 then 1010, among other tests. The RAM (1 GIG) passed. Is that
conclusive? Should I still try removing non-original RAM? Several people on
the list seem to think the RAM is the cause.

2.  I will try installing with peripherals unplugged.

3.  I am trying to install on an unused partition (14 GIG)...have scanned it
with Tech Tool pro and found no problems. Also tried installing on two other
big partitions (I have an 80 GIG Barracuda). Same result.

4.  I have tried "easy install" and "custom"...without foreign fonts and
developer package....same result.

5.  Wondering about trying "erase and install". Will that erase ONLY THE
PARTITION I'M INSTALLING ON. Does anyone know FOR SURE?

6.  My firmware is up to date. I am running OS 9.2.2  on my 450 CUbe with
CDRW.

7.  I tried installing 10.1, but had the same result.

8. I have used the installer disc on another G4 (450 DP tower) and it worked
fine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. I'm almost beyond frustrated
into really curious!

-Marty