[CUBE] Chimney in stead of a fan?

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Mon Jan 13 08:36:26 PST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 09:52 AM, Comerceway at aol.com wrote:

> That's a great idea. I think that Apple designed the Cube around that
> very
> principle - convection cooling. How much more could be gained by an
> extended
> chimney sounds like a question for the thermodynamicly trained among
> us.

Awhile back, I went crazy looking for a second enclosure because I had
(thought anyway) designed the perfect cooling system, and it was in
fact a sort of chimney, but never made it. I also got the enclosure(s),
which now sit in my closet.

It seemed like the cost would keep people from buying it...I would have
used the same clear plastics so it would have looked good, and not like
some generic,  crappy, expensive after-market add-on.

Anyway, since people have these videos showing how to disassemble their
cubes, and fans are anywhere between $3 and $20, I think the chimney
would be too expensive. Plus it would need an external power source
(unless we could use firewire or usb...but that would still be a bit
clunky).

The panaflo is the best option. I got mine down to around 7v-9v with
help from a list member, and it's REALLY quiet....much quieter than at
12v, and keeps the system at a constant 90f/32c with a Radeon 7500 even
after heavy gaming. When I pull the core out immediately after use and
touch the components, they feel cool to the touch (even the video
card's heat sink)

jesse

Link to list member who showed me what to do (his name escapes me at
the moment):

http://homepage.mac.com/tracer302/bluecube/PhotoAlbum29.html

.