[CUBE] PL upgrade (Was: Feedback from GigaDesigns!)

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Wed Jan 15 05:43:23 PST 2003

On 1/15/03 8:12 AM, robertj at powerlogix.com typeth:

>> The same Mac will
>> wake fine when the PL card is not installed.
>

> Again, we have seen this same thing with stock processors. We have seen
> two systems side by side where one wakes and the other doesn't, all other
> things being identical. Research is continuing; we have spent perhaps $20K
> of engineering expenses on this alone in the past few months.
>
> Robert

Do you mean that you have seen it with a stock processor in a machine that
won't wake from sleep, but when swapped with ANOTHER stock processor from
another machine, it WILL wake from sleep? Because that's the only way your
above statement makes any sense in response to what you quoted (I am
annoyingly literal, I know)

The reports I keep seeing (I don't know what the true answers are, since I
don't have the sleep problem on any of my Cubes, with PL cards or with stock
processors) are that the systems in question will sleep and have previously
slept without fail, EXCEPT when the PL processors are installed, and in most
cases I've read, the symptoms occur in both OS 9 and OS X - and ever .x in
between.

So if the same Mac sleeps perfectly without the PL upgrade, it can't be a
problem with the stock processor, right?  Not to say that SOME of the stock
processors don't have this problem, because the evidence on Apple's own
discussion boards says otherwise, but it's not universal in either case.

I'm partly playing devils advocate here, because I don't personally consider
the issue all that serious to begin with, but the statements PL has made on
this subject are contradictory to what the facts show. If these same
machines had sleep problem with the stock processor, it would be clear that
it's an Apple problem. But when the machines in question function perfectly
under 9.2 - 10.2.3 with the stock proc and fail to sleep properly with the
PL card, then there is something unique to the combination of the 2, and
since not everyone has the problem, there's likely some other factor
involved that makes those than fail, fail, and those that don't, sleep fine.

So here's what we know: some stock Apple machines have sleep problems. Some
PL upgraded machines have sleep problems. Some machines have no problems
with the Apple proc, but as soon as the PL card is installed, problems
occur.  We still don't know why on either count, but it's clear there's
something "off" because it's hard to blame Apple for a problem that only
exists in some machines when a PL card is installed and it's hard to believe
it's a kernel issue, when the problem spans across multiple OS versions.

Everyone following along here?

:)

Laurie
--