[CUBE] PL upgrade

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Wed Jan 15 08:57:43 PST 2003

On 1/15/03 11:20 AM, robertj at powerlogix.com added a note to the human
symphony when this was said:

>> So here's what we know: some stock Apple machines have sleep problems. Some
>> PL upgraded machines have sleep problems. Some machines have no problems
>> with the Apple proc, but as soon as the PL card is installed, problems
>> occur.  We still don't know why on either count, but it's clear there's
>> something "off" because it's hard to blame Apple for a problem that only
>> exists in some machines when a PL card is installed and it's hard to believe
>> it's a kernel issue, when the problem spans across multiple OS versions.
>>

> Actually you forgot one scenario: some PL upgraded machines have no
> sleep problems whatsoever.

I didn't forget I said in an earlier paragraph that my own PL upgraded
machines have no sleep problems, and others have supported that as well :)

> The problem is, how does one pinpoint the
> problem when it doesn't manifest itself in every instance? If there
> was a definitive problem with our cards in terms of hardware, it
> should occur every time. Yet it does not. That's what makes this such
> a time consuming, frustrating engineering conundrum.

Aye, there's the rub.  We all agree the problem only manifests itself in
SOME PL cards. Obviously, if it was universal it would be easier to solve.
Since it's not, we all wait and see.  I totally see why you would be
frustrated. But I can see why the customers affected would be frustrated as
well. All they want is a card that works they way it's supposed to. And it's
doubly frustrating for them BECAUASE the problem that they have DOESN'T
affect 100% of the rest of us using the same cards!  So they're a little
jealous :) So from where they sit, it seems obvious that since no one can
determine WHY there's a problem with some cards and not others, that
replacing the card has a 50/50 chance of solving the problem, and is the
most efficient way of solving the problem for the individual, since the
problem as a whole is still some time away from being solved.

I don't see anyone blaming PL for not having a magic wand that solves all
the world's sleep problems. I think the reasonable people here understand
you're not THAT powerful and that if you had the answers already, we
wouldn't be having this conversation:) No one (that I know of) thinks you
are ignoring the issue. But some people may think you are skirting it out of
frustration. What I see is a problem that exists - for some people, but not
for others, and the ones for whom it does exists just want it solved for
their particular instance. These cases that are unique to PL cards only,
can't be "blamed" on Apple. They should be addressed (in my opinion) by PL
by replacing the card and hoping for the best. Replacing it repeatedly, if
needed, until you hit a card that works in that customer's machine.  Is that
a pain in the ass for everyone involved?  You bet. But... It's a solution,
one person at a time.

All that being said, I still support your efforts 100%.

Laurie
--
AOL IM: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com