[CUBE] ATI Radeon 7500 install

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Jan 17 10:18:06 PST 2003

I am an expert on this card for the Cube because I did a lot of
research during the past year to find the fastest TwinView that would
work in the Cube without a fan. I still have some for sale BTW. Anyone
interested contact me off list.

In my humble opinion, you should install the 7500 WITHOUT the modified
fence that attaches to the Cube's video port hole. Why? Because the
7500 is plenty tight without it due to the combination of its connector
and the screw in the upper rear corner. By skipping the fence, you
allow a lot more air to enter directly into the heat sink area between
the two video ports. Otherwise that opening is blocked by the fence and
the card will run much hotter. Not installing the port fence aids in
the natural convection cooling of the card.

You certainly do not need any fan inside the Cube as long as you
install it without the air flow blocking fence. That's why it's the
perfect TwinView video card for the Cube. It is the fastest TwinView
video card that will continue to run in the Cube without a fan.

Now this thing about running the 7500 without the fence is my own bias.
I learned this approach from someone else on this list who was doing it
long before me. It's really a common sense thing. I am certain that
this is the best way to make sure the card runs cooler. Some list
members swear by "the fence must be installed" point of view. I don't.
So before I get attacked for telling you this is the only way, I am
telling you this is my opinion of how best to run your card. I am only
speaking for myself and others like me who run the card this way.

I can't tell if your 15" LCD is one of the older ones with a VGA input
or if it's ADC. I read somewhere that the Apple 17" ADC CRT was ... You
know I can't remember exactly what it was that I read. Something about
not working right with some ADC connectors. But I'm sorry I don't know
exactly what it was.

Laurie is a Mac technician. I think she may know the answer.

Laurie, do you know?