[CUBE] iCommune

Sensei (Eliezer Navarsky) sapir131 at zahav.net.il
Sat Jan 18 22:02:11 PST 2003

Bill

> On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 01:30 PM, Sensei (Eliezer Navarsky)
> wrote:
>
>> And why would you assume such a thing?!...
>
> That most of the list is against piracy? It seems they are. No one
> jumped in saying they weren't.

No, why would you assume that I would be using it for piracy?!...

>> For example, It is still legal to move music (that I legally own) from
>> my home computer to my office computer...
>
> Sure is.

Thank you.

>> For an additional example, it is still legal to share original
>> music...
>
> Yep, on the original media.

Original music in this case referred to music that was original (i.e.
not commercial). For example, your teenage son's rock band's own
stuff...

>> The fact that certain software/hardware allows IP piracy does NOT mean
>> that it is used exclusively for that purpose... Your CD writer can be
>> used to produce bootleg copies of software and music CD's - does that
>> mean you use it for that?!...
>
> Well, Apple claims iCommune was produced illegally so your fight is
> with Apple, not me. It can be used with iTunes for piracy as you point
> out just like Napster.

Apple just doesn't want (and rightly so) a Napster like debacle around
any of its products. Their lawyers went over the eula with a fine comb
(next you'll be telling us that you actually read those things) and
found a technical breach which was enough to be able to scare the guy
off.

Look, I'll let you in a little secret - I don't give a rat's ass about
what Apple claims. It is a nifty extension that I personally use for
perfectly legal purposes.

Back to you. You started out by wrongly accusing me of piracy. When I
pointed out that iCommune can be used for legal purposes you came back
with some more "humorous" repartees. You could have graciously I
offered your apologies. You could have just let it be. I guess you are
one of those people who must have the last word...

Sensei.