[CUBE] Slot Load DVD-RW Drives From MCE

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Sun Jan 19 09:01:52 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 10:08 PM, Todd Masco wrote:

> I would ask that people stop complaining about the pricing of new
> products for the Cube.  As much as it pains us here, the Cube is a
> dead platform.  That means that it has a shrinking user base for
> cube-specific products, which means that vendors have to recoup their
> investment from a shrinking pool of sales.

I don't agree. Taking a (insert product here) that fits in laptops,
desktops, and cubes and adding a sheet of metal to it so it can be
mounted inside a cube isn't going to put a manufacturer out any more
than $2. Funny though, that $2 difference seems to jack the price by
$200-$400.

If you don't mind, then pay for it. I, on the other hand, am going to
let it be known what I'm willing to pay, especially since there are
sales people on this list, and people on this list reporting to the
manufactures of these products. Seriously, look into the actual costs
of these drives. When you know how much they REALLY cost, let me know
if you're willing to pay an extra $300, on top of the profit they
already made.

Seriously, there's a mechanism that spins the disc, there's a track and
a motor to move the laser, and there's a laser....along with some cheap
electronics and sheet metal. A grand total of about $50 or less.

jesse

.