[CUBE] Firewire problems

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Mon Jan 20 13:15:08 PST 2003

> i have a fw hd it's a 60 gb maxtor 5600 rpm (ithink) it a very quite
> model. just 1 year old.
> but the problem isn't really the drive... when i flick my switch to
> turn the drive on it doesn't ... at least not right away like it used
> to (even a 5 second wait is normal) but now itls minutes. sometimes up
> to 10!  once it spins up and tries to mount (i hear r/w noise) it
> momentarily spins down then back up! and then tries again (same pattern
> of r/w noise) sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. when it does mount
> it's only usable for about 10 mins. then it spontaneously spins down
> and back up again but this time it's unmountable. it won't even
> recognize that its on (lookin in terminal)

Does it have it's own power supply, or is it bus powered? It sounds like a
power supply problem. Also, it can be thta the motor that spins the platters in
the HD itself is starting to give up. And now that someone mentioned it, I
think I have read somewhere about the problems with the external maxtor drives,
try to search around, there might be some kind of fix or update available.

BTW reading about a lot of FW/USB problems various people have reported, I feel
compelled to say that my Cube is running perfectly! :) Just to drop in some
good
news.

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr