Mac OS ROM issues?

Chris Searles csearles at t-online.de
Mon Jan 20 09:50:28 PST 2003

Here's the deal. I've been trying to run a couple of carbonized apps that
have been giving me problems in the German localized version of Mac OS 9.1
that I have on my Cube. After running Tech Tool Pro it told me that there
was a problem with the Mac OS ROM file in the System folder which I
immediately replaced with a fresh copy from the installation CD. After that
I ran TT Pro again and got an "Invalid Bundle Bit" error which I repaired.
Running TT Pro for the last time brought me back to the original problem
found that there was something wrong with the file (without specifying what
exactly).

My questions are:

1) Is this a known issue with the Mac OS ROM software?

2) Can the fact that I've installed Language Kit software have anything to
do  with the problem? (This software is known to make serious changes to the
System file, not always to the latter's benefit.)

3) What is the highest non-OS X version of Mac OS I can run as a standalone
version on the Cube without any problems, 9.1 or 9.2.2? (I eventually plan
to upgrade to Jag. I just need to find the time to back everything up
first...)

Thanks,

Chris Searles