[CUBE] IBM's 970 statements

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 15:15:37 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 02:03 PM, Germ Steel wrote:

> Pinning hopes on new processors is kind of fruitless (well there's
> always
> hope!).  By the time the thing comes out, in quantity, with many
> mis-starts
> and delays the excitement will evaporate when the new machine's price
> will
> be $3800.

I was thinking that too, but I'm guessing IBM will have an easier time
of making these suckers than moto ever did with the G4. Plus, IBM will
have Nintendo as a 970 customer with their next console, and possibly
sony with the PS3, not to mention IBM is going to use the chip itself
in linux machines....

I guess what I'm saying is, if there's a gigantic quantity of these
chips, maybe they'll be priced way lower than the G4's are...and
hopefully, Apple will pass the savings along. It would be smart on
Apple's part, as they'd sell more machines, but with all the hype over
the G5, I'm sure they'll be able to play us like chumps for the first
6-9 months.

Oh well...I guess we'll see!  :¬)

jesse

.