Formatting in external firewire drive

Fran Adams fran at franadams.com
Sat Jan 25 11:27:39 PST 2003

I'm having difficulty formatting a new seagate 80 gig so I can try out
Jaguar (Yes, this cube list has convinced me to take the leap of faith).
I installed the new drive internally and formatted it into 6 partitions
using a 10.2 Jag CD. The partition for the OS X is 20 gig. The format
completed OK and I then attempted to install Jag. No such luck, the
installer quit and the partition for the system disappeared. I've been
unable to get the partition to reload after restarting the cube with the
Jag CD. The other partitions show up fine.

I then installed the new drive in my external firewire case (replacing
the 30 gig there) but the cube (running 9.2.2) refuses to recognize the
new drive at all. The old 30 gig was reinstalled and was recognized fine.

This is likely a simple thing, but at the moment, I'm stymied. I've read
suggestions about formatting the drive into 8 gig partitions for the
system installation (internally mounted), but before I tear the cube
apart again, I'd like some opinions as to what I'm missing.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

- Fran Adams