[CUBE] GSM & IrDA

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Jan 26 12:18:37 PST 2003

> I've been delaying the purchase of a new phone for almost exactly
> these reasons. I want a phone that's supported by iSync, but I also
> want one which lets me get rid of my Palm, which I use exclusively as
> an address book and appointment calendar. The T68i would qualify on
> accounts of size, standby-time and weight, but it fails because it
> does not have a full address book - only name, phone number(s) and
> e-mail address.

That's it, the mobile phone industry has been limping behind on these
simple features. Now they seem to concentrate on useless features like
color screens and integrated digital cameras that are downright silly.
Also, I don't need a palm sized device with a GSM capability, I need a
GSM phone with palm style address book and scheduler :)
Basically that's what Alcatel provides, it's got complete address book
(so imports vCard format files), scheduler (imports vCal files), to-do
list and probably couple of other things I don't care about. I easily
copied data from my Palm to 715 and vice versa over IR. Too bad about
the lack of Mac support. The included PC software suite is excellent,
and I wrote Alcatel to make them aware there is an interest in Mac
world, especially if they make it work with iSync, which shouldn't be
hard at all. I just fear that Apple and Ericsson might have some kind
of deal going on here.

> Oh, and I will happily upgrade to Bluetooth as soon as there is a
> PCMCIA solution for my TiBook. I have no problems putting a Bluetooth
> USB dongle (OS X spelling checker does not know this word!) on my
> Cube, but I don't want such a thing sticking out the back, keeping the
> port cover opened.

I wouldn't mind it either if there was an _affordable_ bluetooth
enabled phone on the market, but there is none, and I don't want to pay
extra for a feature that should be basic one.