[CUBE] New macs & processor upgrades

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jan 29 09:59:03 PST 2003

The bottleneck in ripping CDs to MP3 files in iTunes is not the
processor. While the processor's speed is a factor in the overall speed
of the rip, the fundamental variable before that is the reading speed
of the CD drive. By using a high speed external CD-RW drive, you will
realize much faster rips. I use a cheap LiteOn 40x12x48x drive ion an
ADS Oxford 911 FireWire case. It rips while reading the data @ 48x.
Thus the ripping speed in a 500 MHz cube is in excess of 7x almost all
the time. The same holds true for other Mac models. So Alan is correct
that the external CD-RW ripping is the way to go with any model Mac.
Even the newest Towers only provide a maximum CD reading speed of 32x
from either the Combo drive or the DVR-105 SuperDrive. The above
external Lite On drive reads 150% faster.