[CUBE] New macs & processor upgrades

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jan 29 11:32:46 PST 2003

My Cube is under my desk. I never see it. IMHO all computers belong out
of sight, on the floor or inside a built-in desk compartment. But you
are right.

The new single GHz Cube upgrade is $600 and a base Cube is about $800
(if you can find a deal). So at $1400 you are not getting Airport
Extreme capability (+$100), BlueTooth capability (+$50), 64 MB DDR
Video GeForce 4, 4 PCI slots, 2 - 5.25" internal drive bays, ATA 100
(sees large drives up to 250GB so far), and room for a Terabyte of
internal HD storage (4 x 250GB). If you don't mind the fan noise, you
should get a tower for $1499. I would take the Combo and add a DVR-105
plus iLife with iDVD 3. It's a little more money. But then you have a
Combo drive that can read DVDs that you can copy with the 105 and Toast
5.2. If you try to BTO both in the order, Apple will charge you an
extra $350. It will cost less than $250 to add the SuperDrive and iDVD
3 after you get the computer. You can always count on Apple to figure
out a way to charge more for two than it does for one minus the other.
; ^ )

The above does not include the cost of a larger hard drive and a faster
TwinView video card which can only be 32MB inside the Cube. Those are
going to coast about $400 extra. So you might as well buy the Dual 1.25
GHz Tower for just a little more money.