[CUBE] politics

phoenix phoenix at cybernothing.org
Wed Jan 29 19:51:35 PST 2003

From: Christopher

> Dear Cube List,
>
> I subscribed to this wholly and exclusively to read and
> hear about issues related to the Apple Cube. Can whoever
> is responsible please remove all this garbage about middle
> eastern politics! I see enough of this on tv thanks.

        This happens on ANY list where a community of any sort develops.
It's something you either get used to and accept as part of the nature of
email, or you unsub yourself and be done with it.  Bitching about it does
NOT make a difference.  If anything, it prolongs the agony.

        It was for that exact reason that on another (non-Mac-related) list
I frequent, when the moderator had to bark about off-topic chatter, I
created a separate list /just/ for that group to go and BS.  It's a place
where threads go to die, or so I'd intended.  More than a year since I
created it, that list is very much alive, well, and quite enjoyable for all
involved.  It's thriving.

        And the list that spawned it?  It's all on-topic these days.  And
very little traffic.  It's almost dead at this point.  So quiet, you could
hear a Cube thinking with the hard drive powered down.

        So, to anyone who wants a solution to the problem, go ahead and
create a "cube-offtopic" list, attract the BS threads over there, and we'll
see the S:N ratio here clean up real quick.

cheers,
phoenix
--
Forget world peace