[CUBE] OSX Server on Cube

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 00:44:57 PST 2003

I can't speak to the powerlogix upgrade portion of your question - much
as I'd like to be able to :-) - but OS X Server runs just fine on a
stock cube.  The things that you will notice are that as a server most
of the performance bottlenecks have more to do with disk IO than CPU
horsepower.  My machine is happily running my mail, web server, php,
squirrelmail, several DB's and generally has loads of CPU to spare.

Now it's not really a very busy server all things considered and is
only on a DSL line connected to the router via an Airport connection so
that might not be a fair test if you're planning on using it heavily.
It does act as my day to day workstation while I'm at home as well
since it's got the nice monitor hooked up to it.  Basically there's no
difference between OS X and OS X Server other than the bundled server
management applications so everything depends on the amount of
predicted load.

OT: Any of the european list members know of any Apple related job
postings in France?  I just moved over here to be with my fiancée and
would love to get back into a real mac environment.

Cheers,

Erik