[CUBE] AW: [CUBE] OSX Server on Cube

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Fri Jan 31 00:42:54 PST 2003

> I understand, but couldn't standard 10.2.3 also netboot, integrate
> with LDAP, or itself be an LDAP server, be a passwd server, home
> directory server, etc?

netboot server: no**
ldap server: yes
ldap server for netinfo dB: no
password server: no
home directory server: yes*

* that is the directories could be hosted, but an authoritative Netinfo
domain server would be required to instruct the client where to find
these.
** that is the software isn't available to install on 10.x client

Could all of this software run on 10.2.3 client? Yes since there's no
difference in the underlying OS but you can't get most of it separately.

Oh, and WebObjects for pre v5.2 required OS X Server for the deployment
package.  I'm not sure about whether that restriction still applies
since it is 100% pure java and should be able to run anywhere but the
installer used to require Server.  I suspect that it would take a lot
of hacking to get that to work on client but could be done.

Towards most of the questions regarding Server vs. Client the simple
answer to which to choose is:

Are you building an internet only server?  If yes, then Client will
probably do everything you need, with perhaps a little more tinkering
at the command line that you'd need to do on Server. (but only a
little).  If you want an easy internet server setup with everything
ready to go and nice management interfaces then Server is for you.

Is this a Server required to manage the security for multiple other
Macs? If yes, then Server is what you need in order to be able to do
force clients to netboot, create access policies etc.

There's a whole slew of other pieces that should go into making that
decision BTW, but at the base level that's where I'd start.

Cheers,

Erik