[CUBE] PowerLogix upgrade/no sleep - other factors

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Thu Jul 3 05:54:07 PDT 2003

On 7/3/03 7:14 AM, joost at jvdg.net added a note to the human symphony, when
this was said:

> I haven't tried it myself, but I never heard anyone complain they needed to
> reinstall OS X after installing a different optical drive, Drives are either
> supported or unsupported, without the need to reinstall the OS or mucking
> about with Pacifist.

Sorry Joost, but you are wrong. Your experience with your machines may be
convincing to you, however, if you were to use the specific examples I gave
you with the newer machines I mentioned, you would see results that conflict
yours. The 14" iBook vs the 12" iBook is the most obvious example. Install
OS X on say a 700mhz 12" iBook, then clone that install over to a new 14"
iBook and see what happens.

I do this for a living and deal with a mind-boggling array of setups and
configurations on a daily basis. I spend many hours each week creating,
testing and perfecting new universal boot images that will function 100% on
every new Apple hardware config we come across. It works the way you have
experienced 95% of the time - yes, but not 100% of the time.

Laurie
--
AOL IM/iChat: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com