Wireless networking

David Iverson nebdave at mac.com
Fri Jul 4 16:49:03 PDT 2003

I have just bought a house with no wire in place for networking.  If I have to wire it, it would not get done for a while, since I just do not have the time.  If I were to go with wireless, I would at a minimum want to connect my IMac Graphite (600 Mhz), my Cube 500 Mhz (with upgraded video and HD), and my Sony VAIO (which has a card already in it).

My thought is that I would buy the Airport Extreme Base - even though I do not currently use any device that would benefit from it, and then buy two Airport Cards to install into the IMac & Cube (I think my daughter's IMac is new enough to not require the adapter, but I will have to double check that).

The one caveat is that I have a Siemen's 2.4 Ghz phone system, fully loaded with handsets that I have nothing but good luck with (unless my new home is in some EMI timewarp), so I know there will be potential problems.  My understanding is that for interference purposes, the older Airport cards are less sensitive than the Extreme versions.

One last point, I would like to possibly connect this whole shooting match up with a couple of 9600's that I continue to use for certain applications that, well, continue to work well on them.

Any comments or suggestions, or better yet:  warnings!

Dave Iverson