[CUBE] Airport networking help

Matthew Lehrian matthew-lists at lehrian.com
Sun Jul 20 17:12:53 PDT 2003

Hi Hal (also my father's name),

I don't believe that the regular AirPort base stations supported
Wireless bridging.  I believe that "wired bridging" was possible.  I
never played with it myself, so I can't really speak on the subject.
Rumor has it that some people have had problems seeing "across" the
base stations.  So Computer A connected to Base Station A might not be
able to see Computer B connected to Base Station B.

However, I am using wireless bridging (WDS - Wireless Distribution
System) w/ two AirPort Extreme base stations.  While it does require a
bit of configuration, it's pretty straightforward and following the
documentation is the way to go.  One thing I learned that wasn't clear
in the docs - for the "slave" base stations - disable the DHCP server.
Only the primary base stations should dole out IP addresses via DHCP.
A couple things to remember - make sure the network name, channel & WEP
password (if you're using WEP) are the some for each base station.  The
latest AirPort software (v5.1) makes WDS configuration much easier.  I
can tell you that this configuration does not suffer the problem of not
being able to see "across" the base stations.

If you're going the AirPort Extreme route and have more specific
questions, feel free to email me.

Good luck!
Matt