[CUBE] Retrieve old files and applications

abillups at mac.com abillups at mac.com
Tue Jul 22 08:29:23 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 06:11  AM, H Solomon wrote:

> I am trying to get data files (docs graphics spreadsheets) and
> applications
> from an OLD Powerbook 5300 Running OS 7.5.2  HD 500Mb and ram 8Mb onto
> the
> Cube OS 9.2.  Data files come across on CDrom but applications will
> not run
> -error message - 199.  Any ideas?
Depends on what the files are and what the applications are that run
them. I have done this exact thing many times and most of the old
applications (OS8 and earlier) will copy over, but you may need
specific extensions or control panels to run them. You also won't
always know what the extensions are.

> Can a G4 boot up in OS 7.5.2?
I bought my cube right after they were announced and the system that
came with it was OS 9.0.4. I understand that you can't install a system
older that the one that came with the system.

That shouldn't be a problem, though. I have about a bunch of iMacs at
school running OS 9+ at school and they run many of the really old
programs fine.

Again, it depends on what applications you need to run.

Ann Billups
abillups at mac.com