I got the!7 inch CRT Apple Studio Monitor blues...

david sarcastix david at sarcastix.com
Sat Jul 26 08:07:53 PDT 2003

Greetings, Cubists.

Okay, my first big problem.

Cube, pretty stock
450 mhz
384 mb memory
20 gig HD
Jaguar 10.2.6

I bought it on ebay, worked great out of the box.
I've bought more ram. Just haven't installed it yet.

17 inch Apple Studio monitor CRT.
bought on ebay, seemed okay, has worked okay for months.

The only other thing plugged in is an Ethernet cable.

It's a strange problem. If the cube and monitor are sitting there (meaning
that they are running), everything seems okay. I have a software temperature
gauge, it hovers at around 96.8 Fahrenheit.

If I START using the cube, launching programs, surfing, etc. in a few
minutes the monitor starts turning itself OFF and ON. Within a few minutes
it's cycling about every 5 seconds.

The temperature rises about 10 degrees.

If I STOP using the cube, the cycling remains on for a long time, it doesn't
want to calm down, and temperature drops back to 96.8.

If i restart, USUALLY the monitor calms down and doesn't start cycling again
until I use the cube again.

The cube is always on, so it doesn't seem like a temp problem, as in a cold
start to overheating.

Sometimes the monitor turns off on the first mouse click that activates the
hard drive, sometimes not.

I hate problems like this.

Before this, the cube was stable and not prone to power or sleep problems.
It worked great.

Screen saver is ON. No sleep settings are on for monitor or cube..

Before this problem I had a screen saver on, and set the monitor to shut off
after idle for 15 minutes. I am home in bed all day, and I use the system
about 15 hours a day. The monitor starts a number of times each day from
sleep.

I thought I would ask you folks before I start swapping computers and
monitors to see which component is failing.

I became temporarily handicapped a while back, and I can't use my hands
much. And it's painful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David Sarcastix