[CUBE] Sonnet 1.2 install notes

Julian Tracy julian at leswardphoto.com
Mon Jun 2 23:15:17 PDT 2003

> Hi Julian,
> I hope you'll give us a brief report of your experience installing the
> 1.2 GHz upgrade. Did it come with an install instruction DVD? Do you
> have a 52x FW CD reader to test maximum AAC ripping speeds attached to
> that puppy? This $519 price is really getting down there. I'm ready to
> pull the trigger on what you are leading with as soon as you give us
> the all clear. Particularly no sleep problems. I use sleep quite
> frequently. Rarely shut down. I too have the 7500 inside. Only driving
> CRTs.
>
> BTW everyone. I have ONE fanless TwinView 7500 left for sale. Still
> saving it for a list reader. Never put any on eBay.
>
> How's the Geffen adapter treating you? What size screens at what
> resolutions are you driving?
>
> Thanks.

Just finished the upgrade.  As per Jesse's idea I also took out the modem
for increased ventilation behind the video card.

The Panaflo "L" fan is not too loud at all really, about 10% of the noise I
get from my external FW cases - not bad at all.  Air vents seem quite a bit
cooler - and there's a slight breeze coming out of the top.

No DVD instructions - but entirely clear and concise step by step's with
very detailed pictures.  Started at 10:50, finished by 12:00 - it was the
first time I've personally had the ENTIRE Cube in pieces...

The hardest part was separating the heat sink from the logic card - almost
seemed impossible - but then it just popped off, cool.

Started right up (10.2.6) 2MB L3 shows in profiler - CPU GHZ doesn't though
- maybe there is a utility that will show it?

Itunes ripping at 192 AAC had been anywhere from 4.5X - 8X with the stock
450 processor - with the Sonnet 1.2GHZ I've seen the number's go up to 17X
and average at 12-14X (have only tried thus far with a firewire Pioneer 104
also have a 48X CDRW in an external case).

All in all, speedier; haven't had time to test PS yet, and never did get
around to doing any 450GHZ benchmarks.

My "new" Cube: 1.2GHZ, 1.5GB Ram, 120GB 8MB 7200rpm, Radeon7500 with 17"crt
and 15" LCD - no sacrifice in speed just to be cool any longer!

I'll let you know about the sleep tomorrow.

Regards,

Julian Tracy