[CUBE] CD-RW drive for the Cube?

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Tue Jun 3 18:12:47 PDT 2003

On 6/3/03 1:11 PM, nicolai.sidenius at tin.it added a note to the human
symphony, when this was said:

> I have a Cube with the usual CD/DVD drive installed. I never use DVDs
> but really badly need a CD-burner. Can anybody tell where I can get a
> simple, and preferably fast, CD-RW drive for the Cube? Because of their
> high prize I'm not really interested in the combo and super drives.
> Also, I don't want an external drive for estetical reasons. I
> understand that drives which fit in the iMac (slot loading) will also
> fit in the Cube, but also these I cannot seem to find around....
> Thanx,
> Nicolai Sidenius

Just keep in mind that more and more software is starting to be available
only on DVD, so while you may not use your DVD-ROM drive for playing movies
and such, it may well become a problem for you NOT to have  DVD
capabilities.

If you don't want to spring for a combo drive and dread having a large
external CD-RW, I'd suggest you look at some of the portable CD-RW drives
(MCE's Lucid burners are excellent, as are LaCie's portable drives), which
are bus-powered (off the firewire port), and are barely larger than the CD
itself.

If you insist on installing a CDRW-only drive in your Cube, both MacPro
(product ID sl-cdrw) and MacResQ (product ID P008137) usually stock them for
less than $200.

Good luck!

Laurie
--