[CUBE] CPU Upgrade done - how do I see the correct GHZ speed??

Tom Hostler hostler at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 07:16:10 PDT 2003

Julian

I have a sonnet 1.2 and get exactly the same 0mhz readings as you describe.

I'm told it's because the way these utils calculate clock speed is a
multiple of some values held in ROM/PRAM - which is cross referenced to the
Apple machine/processor ID held in a table.

As the processor is a version that isn't used in Apple's (current) line up I
believe, there's no value for it in ASP's lookup table (or anyone elses),
and hence I guess the other values are multiplied by a zero giving a zero
result.

I know it's a bit vague, but that's the essence of the matter.

Xbench is a good app, as it calculates various benchmark results and you can
compare them to other posted results - there's several Sonnet systems posted
- to check you've got the bangs for the bucks you paid.

I'm sure someone else with better factual knowledge than mine can describe
the way clock speeds are calculated exactly.

Tom