Anyone try a larger drive than 120 GB in a cube?

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Sun Jun 8 10:49:37 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I'm running out of space on my cube, and am considering purchasing a
larger drive.  Staples has a 160 Gig drive for $100 after rebate.  The
problem is that drives larger than 128 (maybe 138, but I think it is a
typo) Gigs require special formatting software to get more than 128
Gigs out of them on the cube.  Here is a FAQ regarding the limit on the
hard drive size.

http://www.cubeowner.com/faq.html#

There is at least one software package that will allow you to format
the drive larger than 138 Gigs to get full capacity.  Here is some
information on that software.

http://www.speedtools.com/XNews.html

There is a reference to a tech note on using large drives and 10.2 at
this site:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/sep02/090202.html

I don't know of a ROM update that will address this with the cube,
though there might be one.

Do any of you know any more about this issue?  I would particularly
like to know if anyone has tried a larger drive with 10.2.  Apple's
developer tech note doesn't state which machines have support in the
ROM for greater than 128 GB drives.

Thanks,

Rob

--