[CUBE] I spoiled my keyboard

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 11 07:13:19 PDT 2003

     Sergei Zak wrote:

>Gents and ladies,
>I regret following some old lister's advice to clean the Apple Pro keyboard
>by bathing it in water. I was under a special mood so I put it under my
>shower of lukewarm water and let it dry for  days in the sun.
>Now I lack left Ctrl. Numlock is gone and so are the top row with numbers
>and specials. Bad idea it was.
>Now I am trying to find small hex head screwdriver to disassemble it and fix
>whatever went wrong.
>So heed the warning  - never do what I did.
>All in all it all just proved that I picked the wrong girl that eve... Can't
>smile, sorry. It's in the top row. hehe

     Never use tap (or shower head) water, just distilled water, the
fewer minerals (which can be conductive as well as sticky), the
better. The lukewarm water in your shower probably included (if
Russian plumbing is anything like in the US) hot water that came down
copper pipes, and so includes copper sulfate in small quantities. If
your municipal water is treated as it is in the US, you have all
sorts of other chemicals that were added to kill microbes, &c.
Supposedly harmless to humans in small doses, but they're still
electrolytes.

     What a blow: never to smile or frown in this forum again. ;-)

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA