[CUBE] cube Sonnet upgrade downgrade

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Wed Jun 11 23:46:27 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 12:10 AM, Andra and Reid wrote:

> But why have so many others had great success with them?  Is it really
> roulette or is there a periodical problem with the cards?  Is it due
> to the fact that I am in Japan?  I would suspect that the upgrade
> cards would handle international voltage needs as computers already > do.

It is not the issue of 'internatinal voltages' because inside the Cube
all the voltages are the same everywhere in the world. Upgrade card
handles it fine, but it also draws much more current from the DC board
pushing it to the limits. At this point your DC board might be able to
hold it, or it may blow up. Bar in mind that DC boards have not been
designed to handle the load of faster processors.
Pretty similar like putting a 2MX with a small heatsink inside and
hoping it will not blow up. Most of the time it won't, but it easily
might.