[CUBE] ichat A/V

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 09:12:03 PDT 2003

Well, I managed to get to an internet cafe with my powerbook yesterday in Paris and make an audio connection to a friend back in Ottawa.  Sound quality was fair to good using the internal mic on the PB and me wearing earbuds.

Speaking as someone who travels a lot and has friends and family distributed all over the place I have tried just about every audio/video conferencing product out there over the years on macs and PCs I can say that iChatAV is head and shoulders above the rest.  First of all, there was no configuration - after getting connected I tweaked the gain on the mic a bit in the sound control panel but that was all.  Sound quality allowed for an understandable conversation even over a shared DSL link in an internet cafe.

>From my experience with the other products, I suspect that the video portion will be pushing the limits of the 128Kbps uplink speed of most DSL lines, and if you're using 64K you might as well stick to audio.

Cheers,

Erik