GeForce 2 MX replacement from Apple...

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 18:58:39 PDT 2003

Posted this on the Cubeowner forums but figured I'd solicit ideas here,
as well.  :-)

Over the weekend the GF2MX (with MONSTER heatsink) in my Cube 500Mhz
decided to freak out and start displaying clown-ish colors.  I called
the local Apple Store to see what the price on a new GF2MX was and got
transfered to California, as it seems my Cube (purchased on ebay last
fall) had an AppleCare warranty still attached.  They cross-shipped a
new one to me (would have been !!!$399!!! out of warranty) which I
received and installed yesterday afternoon.  It's been running fine,
however, this card has the TINY black heat-sink and the only
instructions included were for a tower, not a Cube. From what I've
read, it seems like this is the replacement that other Cube owners have
gotten, too.

Was there ever any general consensus that these smaller heatsinked
GF2mx's work okay long-term in the Cube?  The top of the Cube certainly
is warmer than before from around the rear of the central vent and back.

For what it's worth I have an external fan underneath the Cube ( thanks
to this link: http://www.macsonly.com/arch00203.html#coolcube ) as I've
been in no hurry to tear it down until I purchase a CPU upgrade.

John